Saturday, April 26, 2014

Growing Up

Friends,

Let me start with this- it has simply been too long. I'm afraid the winter got the best of me, and I neglected the site. No longer!

The funny thing about not writing for 2 months (especially when your kids are under 3 years old) is that they actually age quite a bit. This period of time for L and F was particularly developmental. They behave and speak far more like children than babies and they continue to grow at a ridiculous rate. They've ditched the cribs, are bordering on potty training, and have become far more able with their bodies.

From a purely culinary perspective, another recent change is that things that were not edible before are suddenly edible now. Foods that L and F couldn't stop eating have become somewhat less interesting. To this day, the moment that surprised me the most - we were celebrating a birthday and the kids were presented with some seriously delicious cake. F ate a few bites, and then turned the rest down. I had never seen this behavior in him-- sure it's possible he wasn't feeling well, but honestly, it seemed to me that he was developing a greater sense for his appetite and sense of being satiated. I also think he is starting to prefer salty treats to sweet ones.

My wife and I pushed the kids a great deal in the past week, and one meal in particular stands out as a great moment of change. We went to a restaurant that truly didn't have kid options, and the kids were forced to make the best of it. What happened? They ate the largest meal of their life-- off Georgia and my plates. They were eating roasted vegetables, shrimp, chicken, and steak like it was their job. Sure, they've had all these things before (we serve them all the time), but usually these foods are neglected for greener pastures at home (I'm choosing not to believe this is about my cooking...).  But during this meal, i saw a glimpse of the 5-6 year olds I hope to have.

I'll write again soon! Thanks for reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment